November 23, 2009

"Sincerely," Stamp


I feel it only appropriate to publish this post fresh off the second part of PNT's series on valedictions.

A few weeks ago, I found myself trapped inside of a Michaels during a power outage. While waiting for the power to come back on so that I could pay for my items, I filled my time by looking around the store's dollar section. And wouldn't you know it, as is almost always the case with dollar sections, I found some fantastic little goodies! Among them, this "Sincerely," rubber stamp. Being as I purchased it at Michaels, I'm sure that it was intended for scrap-booking, but I, of course, bought it with the intention of using it in the context of letter writing.

Since acquiring the stamp, I've discovered that I have mixed feelings about it. Is it too impersonal to literally rubber stamp a valediction? For weeks, I couldn't decide, so I erred on not using it. But, then I wrote a black and white letter to a pen pal, and I decided that this pal would surely understand that I was using it as a creative flourish rather than as a brush off. I think it worked.

What about you? How do you feel about stamping a letter closing?

3 comments:

Meg said...

I think to someone you've known for a bit they'll understand it's a little embellishment. I'd use it, it's a nice stamp! It looks pretty, so I say that I think it'd be fine for people you're a bit more familiar with or with someone that you know wouldn't really care. Also: those dollar bins are wonderful!

HereBeDragons said...

Wait wait wait.
Michaels has a DOLLAR section?
You should NOT have told me that.

It's pretty cute. If the rest of the letter is handwritten, I wouldn't hesitate to use the stamper, just for a touch of fun!

James said...

Yes, Michaels has a dollar section! I found three fantastic rubber stamps there.

Also, a heads up if you haven't already subscribed, they send out awesome coupons in their weekly e-mail newsletter. I've already gotten a few 40% single item coupons that way.

Huzzah for good buys!

James