November 8, 2009

The JHU News-Letter


Yesterday morning I gave a friend a ride up to Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore for an exam. While he was filling in ScanTron bubbles, I made the most of my free time and toured the University campus. And, boy, was I pleased with myself when I stumbled upon this gem of a building.


I wasn't sure, but I speculated that this was once a campus post office. I was so excited to post about this building that I took half a dozen pictures of it. I felt hoodwinked when I discovered that this Italianate structure was in fact the office for the Johns Hopkins student paper, the News-Letter, founded at the end of the 19th century. That was kind of a downer.

But after thinking about it, I remembered a little nugget that I picked up on a visit to the National Postal Museum here in Washington, D.C. Back in "the day," newspapers were more often than not named after way in which they were delivered to their readers. The Washington Post, for example, was delivered with the mail. So, I speculate that the News-Letter was named as such because that's how it was delivered across campus. A stretch? Maybe. Either way, soak in the pictures of the pretty little building.

If that's not enough for you, I found these splendid cards at the JHU Barnes & Noble. They struck a chord with me because I, in fact, ride a green scooter.


Unfortunately, like most items that bear a Vera Wang label, at $27, this pack of cards was out of my price range.

And there you have my weekend. How about you? How did you enjoy these past couple of days?

No comments: