February 6, 2010

Dino-mite Correspondence


Back in January I read about a functioning post office shanty that had been set up on a lake in Minneapolis, over at Letter Writers Alliance. In the blog entry, I learned that I actually know some of the people involved with the project! Many years ago I worked at the Science Museum of Minnesota with a couple of the artists behind the shanty.


I absolutely had to write them a letter. In recognition of our common past, I employed a dinosaur theme for the letter. On the exterior of the letter, I used some temporary tattoos (I accidentally bought them in the dollar section at Target a while back, thinking they were stickers). Thought, I didn't remember them until I had already sealed the envelope... so I hope I didn't inadvertently smear the water based fountain pen ink I used to write the letter.


I also used a tree stamp to create some flora to go with the envelope's pre-historic fauna.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Off topic, but could you direct me to a decent "how to" book on learning to use an antique letter press? I received the same antique Sigwalt as a present as you have, and am trying to get started. I appreciate any help or links that you think would help close my vast knowledge gap.

James said...

Welcome to the wonderful world of letterpress, Anon! While I still consider myself to be a beginner, I credit everything that I have learned thus far to a mix of trial and error, and the treasure trove of information that is http://www.briarpress.org. I'm sorry that I don't have much information to dispense, myself, but, I hope that you'll find this redirect of use.

Very truly yours,

James

Anonymous said...

Thank you James!