January 26, 2012

Desk Essentials: Postal Scale

DSCF7475

"How many ounces do you think this is?" I used to ask that question all the time, defaulting to the greater possible weight, likely spending unnecessary postage for envelopes which felt a little thick. But, now with my handy dandy postal scale, I am sure of how much postage any particular envelope or parcel requires.

At $9.99 I probably paid a bit too much for this spring scale, but Rite Aid played to my weakness by displaying it next to the packing tape on a day when I really needed to mail a lightweight package of uncertain weight. But, by the end of the year, I expect to recuperate the cost of the scale in saved postage. My dream, though, is to get a digital scale. My local Post Office sells an over-priced digital scale, but it's got all the USPS imagery all over it. Who knows, I may have a weak moment while waiting in line to mail my mother a birthday present this October...

But, if you're a normal, rational person who is in the market for this desk essential, there are many more affordable options (sans fun USPS stickers) available online.

8 comments:

The Pen Thief said...

Check Walmart. I got a digital scale for $12. :)

Melissa of {craftgasm} said...

I've picked up that same scale at a thrift store for about a buck. They have them in the kitchen section all the time, if anyone else reading is ever in the market for one. :)

Eliza Ward said...

I'm sure the investment will be worth it! Also, if you go for the digital USPS one you can feel you are doing a good deed by supporting the USPS (instead of Walmart or Target).

James said...

Ack! I knew I was paying too much when I bought it. But, damn it, Rite Aid got me at a perfect moment of weakness. C'est la vie.

@Melissa, the kitchen section is a great idea. Should this scale break, that's where I'm headed.

Anonymous said...

I too have a scale. It is an old USPS 1 pound triner scale! Most of my questions on postage are for letters so I don't need more than a pound and it looks cool sitting on the desk too :)!

Eliza Ward said...

Also, totally off-subject, but what is that view in the background, to the left of the scale? It looks like you're out in the country somewhere--yet you live in DC, don't you? Haha I know it has nothing to do with the scale, or philately in general, but it's distracting!

James said...

Sorry for the distraction, Eliza! It may not seem the case, but I take my pictures very carefully, so they look respectable to the site's readers.

I have only have one unobstructed window, so I take all of my pictures in front of it. The pictures taken without natural light look really off. And, because the view from that window is really unpleasant, I made sure the tree on the boulevard blocked the view of the street in this picture. You can see the edge of a stop sign on the left edge.

Eliza Ward said...

It's like a Rorschach test! I see a cornfield with a forest in the distance! Haha.