October 23, 2011

Adventures in Letterpress: Wedding Invitation

Misty and James' Wedding Invitation

Way back in April 2010, I posted about a run of Save the Date cards I printed on my Anchor Easy Photo (makeshift) printing press. Several months, I created and printed a run of invitations on Crane Lettra 110 lb. paper, for the same wedding. The above card was affixed on top of another card containing directions and website information, separated by perforation from the response card, with black grommets. To summarize the process for wedding guests, the below video was posted to the front page of the couple's wedding website.


As I've mentioned before, my printing process is a tad unorthodox. Maybe it's just to make me feel better about the finished product, but I like to think the imperfections, e.g. the uneven ink coverage, add character - helping pull together the vintage and modern design elements.

From feedback I received, the invitations were well received! To continue the design theme, I also created wedding programs, dinner menus, and dance cards for the event, using the same production method.

I haven't done much letterpress printing lately... but who knows when inspiration will strike.

2 comments:

Okami said...

Wow!! How many invitations did you send out? That looks like a very time intensive project, but so cool!

James said...

I think we printed out around 100 cards to allow for flawed prints, and sent out around 80 invites. It was an awful lot of work, but it was totally worth it in the end!

Thanks, Julie!

James